As I have mentioned, I have to stagger starting different plants due to space limitations. The sweet peppers were previously started and they are growing great. They have grown well enough to be moved outside. This past weekend it was the tomatoes’ turn to get planted.
I am not grafting the tomatoes this year like I have the last few. I just don’t start enough plants to be able to stagger various start times and to be able to plant extra of everything. I did select two new hybrid varieties to grow this year that claim they have increased disease resistance. We will see how they fair.
In addition to not grafting this year, I have modified the soil I start the plants in from last year. Last year I used a mixture heavy with peat moss. I had no end of trouble. I think my primary issues were lack of nutrients and an inability to keep the soil moist. This year I used a heavily composted soil from the nursery. To that I added a little peat and a little perlite. I also added an inoculant typically used for legumes (beans, peas, peanuts). I remember hearing about a science fair project a few high-school students, I think from Ireland, conducted involving something similar and that they had good results with various crops. Since I had extra inoculant lying around, I figured, why not use it up here. I had also added some to the peppers when I started them and they seem to be doing well.
The table below shows the tomato varieties we are growing this year. I think it is good that I don’t have a large space for a garden. Narrowing down what tomato varieties is an agonizing experience. There are so many varieties that look and sound so good. Without a space limit I think I would be growing a small farm’s worth of tomatoes. Hopefully these will grow well and should provide a nice assortment for slicing, cooking, and salsa.